Fort Lee MWR - Family & Morale, Welfare & Recreation
Garrison Fort Lee

Army Emergency Relief (AER)

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Army Emergency Relief (AER) is a private non-profit organization incorporated in 1942 by the Secretary of War and Army Chief of Staff. AER's mission is to provide emergency financial assistance.

Who does AER help?

  • Active duty soldiers, single or married, and their dependents
  • ARNG and USAR soldiers on active duty for more than 30 days and their dependents
  • Soldiers retired from active duty for longevity or physical disability, and their dependents
  • ARNG and USAR soldiers who retired at age 60, and their dependents
  • Surviving spouses and orphans of soldiers who died while on active duty or after they retired

What can AER do?

Help with emergency financial needs for:

  • Food, rent or utilities
  • Emergency transportation
  • Funeral expenses
  • Emergency medical/dental expenses
  • Personal needs when pay is delayed or stolen
  • Give undergraduate-level education scholarships, based primarily on financial needs, to children of soldiers.

The AER Stateside Spouse's Education Assistance Program (SEAP) is an educational program designed to provide spouses of active duty Army soldiers and widow(ers) of Army soldiers financial assistance in furthering their education.

What can't AER do?

  • Help pay for nonessentials
  • Finance ordinary leave or vacation
  • Pay fines or legal expenses
  • Help liquidate or consolidate debt
  • Assist with house purchase or home improvements
  • Help purchase, rent, or lease a vehicle
  • Cover bad checks or pay credit card bills

How do I find AER when I need help?

  • First, see your unit commander or 1SG
  • Then, call AER at 804-734-6388/7954 for an appointment

What should I bring with me?

  • Military ID card
  • Latest end of month Leave and Earnings Statement (LES)
  • Emergency Leave (DA Form 31)/PCS order
  • Substantiating documents (major car repair estimates, rental agreement, eviction notice, utility bill, disconnection notice, etc)

Can my spouse get AER help if I'm away?

Yes. Spouse should bring:

  • Power of Attorney
  • Military ID card
  • Substantiating documents

How long does it take to get AER help?

You can expect a quick decision on your request for assistance.

What kind of assistance can I expect?

  • An interest-free loan
  • A grant if repayment of loan will cause undue hardship
  • Or, part loan and part grant

Is there a dollar limit on AER help?

No. AER assistance will meet your emergency need.

Where does AER get its funds?

  • Voluntary contributions from active and retired soldiers
  • Repayment of AER interest-free loans
  • Income from investments
  • Unsolicited contributions